Sunday, January 20, 2008

How Can I Help My Overweight Child?

Hey guys, I have been getting quite a few emails of late about overweight children. Many are parents and even more sad many are young kids emailing me about how to lose weight. I would tell most of you parents, the most important thing you can do is make sure your child knows they are OK no matter what there weight! As hard as it may be it is also important to talk to your kid about weight, and ask them how they feel. Believe me, if you know your child has a weight problem, they do to.

The biggest thing you can do is increase your family's physical activity as a group. You may not have weight problems, but by increasing the whole family's activity it will make your child not feel singled out, and it will give them more motivation to continue. Try to plan out family activities that involve an active lifestyle. Activities such as swimming, hiking, walking, biking. You can also try to set rules on your sedentary lifestyle. Your children can watch a certain amount of television a day, or the video games can only be on for an hour. You can also do certain things throughout your day such as walking up stairs instead of taking the elevator. As I said in my earlier posts, forming habits is the biggest part of working out and staying motivated. Once an active lifestyle becomes a habit, you may consider getting a gym membership for your whole family. Many gyms and health clubs offer deals for cheaper monthly costs if you bring in family members to sign up as well. Therefore, it may be much cheaper than you thought to get to the gym.

As with any type of physical activity, it is important you teach your child about healthy eating habits. A great site for information on diet and losing weight is meal plans 101. This site can set your child or you whole family up with personalized meal plans to help with weight loss. Good Luck and Have a Good Night.

the fitnessexpert

1 comment:

Joanna Dolgoff, M.D. said...

Life is very hard for an overweight child. I am a pediatrician and I run a child weight management program in New York. I have a daily blog on which I post suggestions for helping overweight children become healthier. Feel free to read my blog for helpful tips! Also, please ask any questions that you may have.

Joanna Dolgoff, M.D.
http://www.childweightlossmd.blogspot.com/